We’re past a theatre where “mobile-friendly” is enough. It’s time to put your mobile users’ needs first.
It’s time to cruise “mobile first”.
But what does that mean, exactly? How should a websites, and a content, and a calm strategy, change to align itself with a mobile initial mindset?
Plenty of ways, actually. Here’s how:
- Make it snappy.
Speed matters online. But on mobile, it matters even more. According to research from Google, “53% of mobile site visitors leave a page that takes longer than 3 seconds to load.”
And yet, according to that same research, “The normal time it takes to entirely bucket a mobile alighting page is 22 seconds.”
Clearly, we have a problem.
Or… we have an opportunity. Because if we can speed adult your site adequate to get it to bucket for mobile users in 3 seconds or less, you’ll fume many of your competition. That means some-more website traffic, some-more leads, and some-more sales.
- Be 100% certain your site works on mobile devices.
In tech-talk, make certain your site is “responsive.” As in, it responds to whichever inclination it’s examination on.
Most new WordPress themes and DIY site platforms like WIX are built to be responsive. But if we have an comparison site, this competence be a singular best reason to refurbish it.
But even if your web man or gal says “sure, your site is responsive”, don’t leave it there. Check your site on your possess mobile phone. Thoroughly.
Check each page, contention each form, share pages to amicable media (every platform), place an order, write a examination – exam everything on your site to make certain it:
- a) can be finished on a mobile device
- b) is as easy as probable to do on a mobile device
Then, usually when we cruise you’ve got this mobile thing tied down… go ask your teen or a millennial crony (or even your 8 year old) to go do all that things over again.
Get detailed, vehement feedback about what they cruise of your site’s usability. The younger set mostly is some-more savvy – and some-more judgmental – about what they cruise to be a good or a bad site.
- Make pivotal information on your site easy for mobile users to access.
It’s not adequate to have a fast, mobile-friendly website. Your site also has to give mobile users what they wish – and fast.
So what do they want? Well, as the striking below shows, they many want:
- pricing information
- locations nearby them
Fortunately, that information is enclosed on many tiny business sites… though not all. In a 2017 WASP Barcode State of Small Business report, we found that usually 55% of businesses have a association plcae and phone number, most reduction directions to their plcae or pricing information.
- Use a website pattern (or WordPress theme) that offers tabbed content.
Something like this:
Not certain how to set this up? The giveaway WordPress plugin “Tabby Responsive Tabs” can make it easier.
- Format your calm for scanning and tiny screens.
Here are a few best practices, quite for text:
- Keep paragraphs brief (no some-more than 5 lines of text).
- Use bullet points
- Use subheaders
- Break adult content with images about each 300-400 words
- Use copiousness of whitespace
- Use a highly-legible typeface (like a ones mentioned here)
- Show dim form on a white credentials (aka with “high contrast” to assistance your readers see a difference and letters but any squinting
- Use a rise distance of during slightest 12 points