$(‘#sponsored-category-header .sponsored-category-logo’).append(‘ ‘);
When Facebook Live rolled out, a SEJ organisation knew we wanted to do something with it. We didn’t have any knowledge doing live video (never carrying jumped in a Periscope train), though we have a unequivocally intent Facebook audience, so we knew this was a good height to try live video.
Facebook is a second biggest mention source (after Google), so we wanted to precedence Facebook Live. We attempted dual formats and branded them underneath a name SEJ Live (using a #SEJLive for live tweeting):
- Weekly News Show: Our Social Producer, Caitlin Rulien, wrote and constructed a 10-12 notation weekly uncover on Facebook Live any Friday. She review a latest selling news of a week, as prisoner by a staff writers Danny Goodwin and Matt Southern, announced a #SEJSurveySays formula for that week, and gave any other associated updates.
- Expert QA Session: With a recover of a new totally rewritten beginners beam to SEO, we asked all a contributors if they’d like to do a 30-minute Facebook Live eventuality responding questions about their territory in a SEO guide. We did about dual of these per week for dual months.
Both of these ways were utterly different, as one was totally inner and a other compulsory temporarily giving entrance to one of a outward contributors to go live on a Facebook page. When someone is live on your Facebook page, they have a energy to contend and do anything, though we trust a organisation and contributors.
Facebook Live Issues
We had a few tiny hiccups during a Facebook Live sessions:
- Technical Issues: There were a few lags during a consultant sessions where a video went vacant or froze for a few seconds. When you’re going to do a live broadcast, make certain we have a quick tie and if you’re relocating around, that a tie will sojourn clever as we pierce around your location. We found that in times of delayed connections, regulating information instead of wifi was some-more stable, though it depends on your wifi/data and building setup.
- User Onboarding: Most of a experts had never used Facebook Live before. Caitlin did a good pursuit of walking by a stairs with them 15 mins before they were set to go live and we did a exam foster in a SEJ Writers organisation to make certain they did it rightly first. Then, Caitlin would undo that broadcast. we also sent an email out to all a live guest with a questions to answer and a step-by-step how-to of a SEJ Live process, including reminders that a foster had to be finished from their phone app (Facebook now doesn’t concede live streaming from a computer).
- Sexual Harassment: The onslaught is still genuine out there for women. One of a experts perceived some passionate comments during her eventuality that Caitlin and we fast hid. We also blocked a offending user from entrance to Search Engine Journal’s Facebook page during all. The ensuing private summary we got from him was serve explanation we finished a good call. we suggest a 0 toleration process opposite bullying or nuisance of any kind. Since it’s a live broadcast, we had during slightest dual organisation members monitoring a comments during any SEJ Live broadcast. This helped us make certain questions were answered and inapt comments were moderated.
How to Promote Facebook Live
We had prolonged discussions when determining how to foster and emanate calm around a Facebook Live broadcasts. Unlike a webinar, we don’t know a Facebook Live URL until a foster starts (this is now probable with a use of third-party software, though still not in a local app), so we could usually use a Facebook page URL in a promotions of a events.
Here’s a step-by-step timeline for Facebook Live selling promotion:
- Create Facebook Event: We have roughly 400 subscribers to a Facebook Live events, so we finished certain all a SEJ Live sessions had their possess event.
- Schedule Social Shares: We frequently promoted a live events on a amicable media platforms, regulating a hashtag #SEJLive, and also tagged a consultant for any session. We gave a URL of a Facebook page.
- Publish Schedule: At a start of a SEO Guide SEJ Live series, Danielle wrote a post announcing a report of all a live sessions. We kept a sessions on a same dates and times so users knew when to design them.
- Live Tweeting: We live tweeted any SEO beam live session, and enclosed a couple to a approach URL of a live broadcast. That approach a Twitter assembly could click on over to Facebook and immediately start examination a tide session. Once a foster is over, a approach URL will go to a archived finish recording, saved to a Videos territory of a Facebook page.
- In-Video Promotion: In a comments territory of all a broadcasts, we tagged a consultant (if possible, according to their form settings), their company’s Facebook page, their Twitter handle, and a couple to their territory in a SEO guide. For SEJ News Live, we related to all a articles Caitlin mentioned during her broadcast.
- Recap Post: Af a finish of any week, we wrote a summation post that enclosed a embedded videos from all a experts that were live on a Facebook page that week (we didn’t do this with SEJ News Live, usually a consultant broadcasts). we was means to pre-write many of these before both recordings were accessible to embed, as we enclosed a couple to any person’s territory in a SEO guide, their name, and company, and afterwards a contention questions they were going to answer during a foster (which, as we mentioned earlier, we had emailed to them a few weeks beforehand). If applicable, we also enclosed other articles a consultant had finished and embedded any Marketing Nerds podcast episodes they had been on in a past. Once a foster was done, we strike a carrot in a tip right of a video and grabbed a hide code. These summation posts went live any Friday AM for that week.
Does Facebook Live Increase Page Engagement?
Here’s some information on a Facebook Live videos and how they achieved compared to one another:
Names in confidant still need to be updated with post 30-day information.
We found that overall, a consultant sessions did most improved primarily and in a prolonged run when it came to appearance (the assembly seeking questions and commenting), views, and rendezvous (likes and shares).
We also found that:
- Average post strech some-more than doubled for live videos: Our unchanging post strech normal is about 4k.
- Average post engagement for Facebook Live videos was 178% aloft than average.
Does Facebook Live Increase Website Traffic?
We found that Facebook mention trade went adult tremendously this year overall, though it was tough to totally segment. One thing we really indispensable to do improved was to emanate UTM tags for ALL a Search Engine Journal URLs we common during Facebook Live sessions.
We did this for some of a sessions, though we didn’t ready all a links in advance like we should have. Therefore, we have no approach of segmenting out that Facebook trade came directly from Live sessions and that were simply clicks from a unchanging Facebook posts.
During a months that we were doing Facebook Live, we found that mobile Facebook mention trade did boost 213% when comparing a dual months we did Facebook Live with a experts compared to a dual months previous. We did not change anything else about a Facebook strategy.
We also found that a singular promo formula we offering for SEJ Summit during sessions from SEJ Summit speakers (like Mark Traphagen) wasn’t used, so eventuality graduation during Facebook Live events might or might not lead to sheet sales. This is positively a plan we will try again in a future, as it doesn’t harm to embody in a comments during a live stream.
The Future of SEJ Live
Based on a information and a accepting of a community, we know we wish to do some-more consultant SEJ Live broadcasts in a future. However, SEJ News Live has been canceled indefinitely, as we found that a time and bid Caitlin putting into producing a broadcasts weren’t ensuing in most engagement, participation, or traffic. This was no error of Caitlin; we only found that users were some-more meddlesome in conference new information from experts contra recaps of existent news.
In a future, we’d adore to have scheduled, preset URLs for Facebook Live broadcasts, as good as split-screen so both an SEJ organisation member horde and attention consultant guest can be live during a same time. This would concede us to do live interviews and make a broadcasts some-more engaging.
SEJ Live During Our SEJ Summit Conferences
We also have been contrast SEJ Live during a SEJ Summit hunt selling conferences. We live streamed a AMAs panels during both a Chicago and New York events. We got a tripod with a smartphone adapter so a shot stayed solid and kept it tighten to a theatre to constraint a best perspective of a panelists and their voices. We will continue to examination with this during destiny SEJ Summit events, as we’ve found a assembly likes removing a dash of SEJ Summit, even when they aren’t attending! The New York AMA row has over 1,200 views as of Nov 16, 2016.
We will continue to examination with this during destiny SEJ Summit events, as we’ve found a assembly likes removing a dash of SEJ Summit, even when they aren’t attending! The New York AMA row has over 1,200 views as of Nov 16, 2016.
Have we used Facebook Live For Your Publication or Business?
We’d adore to hear your experiences. Leave us a criticism with your thoughts!
Featured picture around DepositPhotos. Graph combined by Caitlin Rulien and screenshot by author.
Read Full Article