There was a time when everybody knew, and agreed, a law blog did not go inside a law firm’s website. It was common sense.
Today, we’re removing a lot of questions during LexBlog about either a law organisation should put their blogs inside a website.
Some of that is caused by website developers and selling agencies, whose founders and principals have never blogged to build their repute or relationships, advising law firms to put their blogs inside their website. Dion Algeri (@DionAlgeri) of Great Jakes, who builds some flattering good law organisation websites, even wrote there is not a singular constrained reason for a law blog to live detached from a website.
Add to a difficulty that some law firms are chasing website trade as a magnitude of a lapse on investment for lawyers blogging, as against to measuring success by an boost in revenue.
I sat down with a mind map and fast came adult with twenty reasons — in further to common clarity — that a law blog does not go inside a law firm’s website. The list is not perfect, we did it on a 30 notation packet float in one morning. I’ll follow with some-more on many of a points.
- Mantle of imagination that comes with eccentric publication. Like authoring a book, a good eccentric blog gives a warn present credibility.
- 86% of people do not trust advertising, a website is advertising. A law organisation website is important, nonetheless it’s advertising. A blog is a announcement charity discernment and commentary.
- Fuels passion for publishing. Good blogging in a niche we suffer is fun, rewarding, a source of certain feedback and a doorway to assembly large people. You don’t stop doing what we enjoy. You get improved during it.
- Guest posts. Ask an successful chairman in your niche to write a square for your law organisation website. Kind of silly. Easy to do with a famous blog.
- Interviews. As a blogger, it’s a snap to send 3 or 4 questions to an influencer or someone we wish to rivet and post a answers to your blog. Not with a website.
- ‘Must have publication.’ When was a final time we listened an attention leader, in-house counsel, organisation head, judge, contributor or blogger contend that’s a contingency review law organisation website?
- Shared on amicable media. Content moves socially currently from chairman to chairman around determined trust as most as calm is noticed around hunt or being pushed during people. Niche blog posts are most some-more expected to be common than website calm labeled a blog.
- Clients sinecure lawyers, not law firms. Lawyers get famous for their experience, believe and influence. Lawyers’ names get built around blogs that turn famous publications, not calm in a website.
- Search engine opening on subject. Blogs outward websites are out behaving identical calm published inside a website.
- Focus on purpose. Firms who blog outward their websites are focused on a plan of substantiating ‘go-to’ lawyers on niches, building out relations and flourishing revenue. Such firms are not dreaming by measurements, that nonetheless germane to other products and services, are not germane to a law firm.
- Drive some-more traffic. If it’s trade you’re after, a sum web trade from a law firm’s good blogs and their website will be larger than a website’s traffic, including their blogs buried inside.
- Revenue. we have nonetheless to hear from any warn or law organisation that they are realizing millions of dollars a year in increasing income by trait of a relations and repute built by blogs inside a website. we have listened it large times from lawyers and law firms whose blogs are outward a website.
- Keeping lawyers. Tell a good warn realizing a name and income from blogging that we are pulling their blog inside a website, they will leave a firm. You’ll not attract lawyers with a book of business built by networking online that includes blogging by carrying blogs in a website.
- Long tenure code and relationships. Firms who have staked a explain in blogging are building a name for a prolonged haul. Their lawyers are building relations that will final a lifetime. Websites don’t do that.
- Citations. Good blogs get cited by other blogs, reporters and courts. we won’t live prolonged adequate to see a justice bring a law organisation website as authority.
- Position warn as management elsewhere online and offline. Blogging lawyers who are frequently cited and whose explanation is frequently common settle themselves as devoted and arguable authorities. They turn famous irrespective of their blog. The ability to accomplish this is exceedingly linited by blogging in a website.
- Incorporate blog posts on website. Independent blog posts are easy to anxiety on a website. RSS feeds capacitate blog titles, post titles and excerpts to be displayed anywhere on a website, including a lawyer’s bio page, a use organisation page, a news territory or a home page
- Easy adult and down. Independent blog publications can be launched quickly, during small cost, even in a matter of days. Website growth mostly costs some-more and moves slower.
- Lawyers stop posting. Blogs, generally those inside inside a website, can turn stale. An eccentric blog can be taken down and archived immediately. Stale blogs remaining on a website for an extended time are a problem.
- Publishing technology. Good blog edition record and program is constantly being upgraded. Upgrades are being finished and facilities are being combined seamlessly but intrusion many times a year. Website record is mostly outdated, is not built for publishing, and is customarily usually updated when a new website pattern is done.
Confusion is ramapant among Internet selling today. It’s easy to get lost.
I wish lawyers, law firms and selling professionals find this list helpful. we demeanour brazen to a indirect contention – here and on other amicable media.